Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Food Stamp Challenge, Day 3

Photo Source
Long day Tuesday, but made it home and prepared "corn cakes" with fresh banana, and made a meal out of more chicken and sliced cucumbers.

During Democratic Caucus yesterday noon, a colleague said he would have joined me but did not have access to a kitchen.  I didn't say anything to him, but want to note here that thousands of CalFresh recipients are in the same boat.  That's why the CalFresh Restaurant Meals program is so important:  http://www.ebtproject.ca.gov/restaurantmeals.aspx.  Although this program is open only to the homeless, elderly, and disabled (although those on SSI are not eligible for SNAP because the benefit amount is "cashed-out" in the monthly grant--we can argue about that another time!), it is another avenue for the hungry among us.

With the heat rising outside, I have been drinking only filtered tap water and coconut milk (which I confess is not a favorite but I put it in my grocery cart because I had a 75 cents off coupon).  Wednesday is food ad day, so I will check the sales and see if I can afford a can of frozen orange juice with my $2.25 in reserve.  Will attend Legislative Women's Caucus "brown bag" luncheon with my real brown bag lunch of a tuna salad sandwich and grapes.  The impending budget vote will affect women, children, the elderly, the disabled, and the poor disproportionately...it saddens me to know that tobacco companies can spend $50M to defeat one ballot measure while millions of Californians are suffering daily from hunger pangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!