Cleo, Food Bank volunteer
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1 pound kale, washed and chopped
- 2 large onions , chopped
- 2 tbs. oil
- 3-4 tbs. vinegar
- 2 tbs. sugar
- salt & pepper
- Wash and peel the potatoes and boil. While they are cooking wash and chop the kale. Remove the thick stem also before chopping.
- Saute the onions in the oil. Add the salt, pepper and vinegar and sugar.
- To this mixture add the kale. When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and add to the kale.
- Using a fork mash them in large chunks into the kale and mix the entire combination together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and a dash of nutmeg and cayenne.
- This meal is traditionally served with sweet pickles and pearl onions on the side.
- One makes a bite of a piece of pickle or onion with the kale mixture.
- With a salad and whole grain bread this meal tastes great and is very warming on a cold night.