Some tips on this recipe: make sure there is enough water in the pan to poach the eggs and do not add salt as it dissolves the whites; keep the poaching water at a steady simmer, not boiling; remove eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and place them on a towel to remove excess water.
I found this recipe on www.whfoods.org. It is a great source of nutritional information and healthy cooking techniques. If you are concerned about getting nutritional needs met through your diet, please check it out .
Cleo, Food Bank volunteer
4 large free-range chicken eggs
1 tsp light vinegar (rice, white wine, or apple vinegar)
1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
1 medium tomato, seeds and excess pulp removed, chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and excess water removed
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Chop onions and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting properties.
2. Bring water to a high simmer in a 10-inch skillet with 1 tsp vinegar.
3. In a separate skillet heat 1 TBS broth. Healthy Saute* onion and mushrooms in broth for 3 minutes over medium heat stirring frequently.
4. Add tomato, garlic, spinach, salt and pepper and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
5. When water comes to a high simmer poach eggs for about 5 minutes, or until whites are firm. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and place over spinach mixture.
*Heat broth in a stainless steel skillet over medium heat until it begins to bubble, add onions and sauté stirring frequently.