It's February with hints of Spring in the air. Beets are the Veggie of the Month and our first recipe is for an unusual snack. This is a lower calorie and a much healthier alternative to potato chips or other veggie chips that have been fried. Pack them in a lunch bag, serve at a party or just nibble away and feel good about eating them..
Cleo, Food Bank volunteer
- 4 beets, large, scrubbed clean
- nonstick cooking spray
- salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Using the slicing blade of your food processor, a mandoline* or a sharp knife, slice beets thinly. You want them to be the size of a potato chip.
3. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet, spray with nonstick spray and season with salt.
4. Roast 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning halfway through, until crisp. Check often to make sure they don't burn. You may need to roast for a shorter or longer period of time depending on your oven and how crisp you want them - so keep an eye on them. :)
5. Serve as is, or with sour cream or another favorite dip.
Servings per recipe: 4
*A mandoline is a flat slicing device especially suitable for very thin slicing.