A Food Bank favorite, this recipe has been demonstrated and enjoyed at our Moveable Market food distributions. Serve with rice or Asian noodles and fish or tofu.
Cleo, Food Bank volunteer
12 small beets (or one bunch full sized, beets quartered)
4 tablespoons butter or oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Minced garlic to taste
- Boil or steam beets until almost tender (10-15 minutes). Rinse in cold water and cut in half.
- In a sauce pan combine the butter or oil, honey, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. Heat gently, stirring until sauce is smooth.
- Place foil on a cookie sheet. Place the beets on the cookie sheet.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Brush sauce on the beets and heat under broiler 5-10 minutes, basting frequently.
Recipe source: Fresh from the Farm and Garden by the Friends of the UCSC Farm and Garden