This would be a great side dish with chicken or fish and a tossed green salad.
Cleo, Food Bank Volunteer
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup orzo pasta (rosamarina)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (or 1 3/4 cup broth of your choice)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook and stir the mushrooms and onion until onion is tender.
- Stir in orzo.
- Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until orzo is lightly browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully stir in broth, carrot, marjoram, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until orzo is tender but still firm.
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in broccoli.
- Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Prep and cook time: 35 minutes