Spring is one of the best times of the year for baby carrots. They are sweet and not as pithy as the larger carrots. For this recipe it is important to use baby carrots that are sold in bunches rather than the small capsule-shaped 'baby' carrots that are sold in bags. You can prepare the carrots, put them in the oven to roast and finish preparing the rest of your meal.
Cleo, Food Bank volunteer
- 1 1/2 lbs of 5 inch long baby carrots, carefully washed, patted dry, greens cropped to 1 inch above top of carrot
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, cut lengthwise (root to top) into 8-12 wedges
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary, or 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- Garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic added to the olive oil)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Method1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Gently toss together the carrots, red onion, rosemary to coat with the olive oil. Lay out on a rimmed baking pan, lined with aluminum foil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
2 Roast for 30 to 40 minutes on middle rack or bottom rack, until well browned.